Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cloak Pattern!!

I wanted a cloak for RenFest, and of course I wanted to make it.  So I looked and looked for a free pattern that I liked.  Well, I only found 2 free patterns and I didn't much care for the look or construction, but they helped me with an idea.

So I give credit to Lion Brand's Day and Night Poncho and Linda Kaye Smith's Ruffled Shawl/Cape for inspiration.

Using math and weight of the finished product, I figured I used about 8 skeins or 1500 yards of yarn for this project.

Here is my pattern.




One-piece Cape with hood

Hook:  I
Yarn: Homespun (or similar weight)


Body

sc foundation 48

Row 1: ch2 (counts as dc here and throughout) dc in each sc across – 48 dc

Row 2: ch2, dc in each dc across – 48 dc

Row 3: ch2, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 56 dc

Row 4: ch2, dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 6 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 64 dc

Row 5: ch2, dc in next 6 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 7 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 72 dc

Row 6: ch2, dc in next 7 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 8 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 80 dc

Row 7: ch2, dc in next 8 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 9 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 88 dc

Row 8: ch2, dc in next 9 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 10 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 96 dc

Row 9: ch2, dc in next 10 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 11 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 104 dc

Row 10: ch2, dc in next 11 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 12 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 112 dc

Rows 11 – 12: ch2, 1 dc in each dc – 112 dc

Row 13: ch2, dc in next 12 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 13 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 120 dc

Rows 14-15: ch2, 1 dc in each dc – 120 dc

Row 16: ch2, dc in next 13 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 14 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 128 dc

Rows 17-18: ch2, 1 dc in each dc – 128 dc

Row 19: ch2, dc in next 14 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 15 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 136 dc

Rows 20-21: ch2, 1 dc in each dc – 136dc

Row 22: ch2, dc in next 15, 2 dc in next (dc in next 16dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 144dc

Rows 23-30: ch2, 1 dc in each dc

Row 31: ch2, dc in next 16, 2 dc in next, (dc in next 17 dc, 2 dc in next dc) 7 times – 152 dc

Rows 32-39 – ch2, 1 dc in each dc – 152 dc

Row 40: ch2, dc in next 17 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 18, 2dc in next dc) 7 times – 160 dc

Rows 41-48: ch2, 1 dc in each dc – 160dc

Row 49: ch2, dc in next 18 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 19, 2dc in next dc) 7 times – 168 dc

Rows 50-57: ch2, 1 dc each dc – 168 dc

Row 58: ch2, dc in next 19dc, 2 dc in next dc, ( dc in next 20, 2dc in next dc) 7 times – 176 dc

Finish off


Hood

Attach new yarn with a slip stitch to first ch on opposite side of starting ch of body

Row 1: ch2, dc in next 6 ch, 2 dc in next ch, (dc in next 7, 2dc in next dc) 5 times – 54 dc

Rows 2-3: ch2, 1 dc in each across

Row 4: ch2, dc in nest 7, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 8, 2dc in next dc) 5 times – 60 dc

Rows 5-6: ch2, 1 dc in each across

Row 7: ch2, dc in next 8 dc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc in next 9, 2dc in next dc) 5 times – 66 dc

Rows 8-9: ch1, 1 dc in each across

Row 10: ch2, dc in next 9 dc, 2 dc in next, (dc in next 10, 2dc in next dc) 5 times – 72 dc

Rows 11-16: ch2, 1 dc in each across

Row 17: ch2, 1 dc in next 31 dc – 32 dc

Rows 18-20: ch2, 1 dc in each across.

~ Fold to where the end of row 20 touches the end of row 17 and sew together, finish off



Edging

attach with a slip stitch anywhere along the edge, ch1, hdc evenly around the entire cloak, finish off.


Enjoy!  Please feel free to make this for whatever use, but give me credit and DON'T sell the pattern.
God bless!

25 comments:

  1. how long did it take it looks great BTW I am just can't get the time off my mind but so thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your cloak pattern, I download it for later, because I too, have trouble
    finding capes, etc. that I like.
    I also like your mickey mouse hat, but would have
    to increase it to a larger size for my grand-kids.
    I think it is so cute.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Thang Cherise - I only worked on it for about 2 hours in the evenings and not even every evening. It took maybe a month (about the time a typical afghan would take) for me to complete it.

    Peggie - I'm glad you like and can use the stuff!

    Thank you both for the compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job! And here I was thinking the same thing but went out and bought the Leisure Arts Wrapped in Style just for the hooded cape lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just curious if it's US or UK terminology?

    ReplyDelete
  6. US terminology.
    If you make it, please send me a pic or link to it, I'd love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Just wanted to check that the ch2 at the start of every row was correct - as I understand it, dc should start with a ch3.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richard - usually you're right, but I've found that the ch3 as a dc tends to leave a slightly bigger opening than I like, while the ch2 is just the right size for my dc stitches.

    If ch3 works for you, do it. Part of being a crafter is modifying patterns for your needs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suspected that might be the case, but wanted to check. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm gonna try this pattern but I'm going to make the hood a separate and larger piece, thanks though, this looks simply amazing, maryland's ren fest?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to know where I could download this pattern in pdf or can you email this pattern in pdf to me email is unclebubbha@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I ask the gauge?....I tend to not be able to afford/find lion brand...I use the worsted weight of 4 of red heart super saver

    ReplyDelete
  13. Which row is the clasp attached to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you please clarify the hood for me? I'm confused on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I've got replied sooner, I've had children and health issues since posting...

      The good is in rows that are about half the width of the cloak and you see the seem together at the top.. I hope that helps

      Delete
  15. What sizes will this pattern accommodate? I am a pleasing plump woman. Thank you for creating and sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I wasn't long in replying, I had children and health issues...

      I've worn it for years, and my size has ranged from women's 10- 18

      Delete
  16. Im having an issue with line 17 of the hood it says 1 double crochet in 31 stitches. and that's it so what do you do with the rest of the stitches how do you suppose to get around to line 18 from that 32 stitch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not finished with mine yet but I can already tell it won't fit me right since I'm a bigger girl. Still turning out beautiful. Thank you for the pattern. Once I'm finished I'll gift it to my niece and try to make a bigger size. Do you have any tips on making the pattern bigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a bigger girl and it fits me relatively fine but I need to make it much longer than the rows call for. Row 58 only comes to my hips, but I'm also 5'9" and I think maybe the designer is shorter than me, haha. It seems to be wide enough and I am a US size 20. If you need it wider, it looks like the foundation chain can be done in multiples of 8, so instead of just 48 make it 56 or 64 chains to begin with and then you can do the same increases but repeat it 8 or 9 times across (depending on how many multiples of 8 you did), instead of the 7 that the pattern calls for.

      Delete
  18. Hi,

    How much yarn did you use to make it and in what size is it?

    Greetings,

    Diana from holland

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,

    How much yarn did you use to make it and in what size is it?

    Greetings,

    Diana from holland

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry, I don't check here often since I had children...

    It fits me, and I range from adult size 12-16

    I don't know how much yarn, I didnt measure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you go into more detail about the hood? When I fold row 20's end to touch row 17's, I just get a weird square offshoot that doesn't form a hood at all.

    ReplyDelete